Sept 23, 2013
A SOLDIER who claims Princess Diana was murdered by the SAS has fled the UK before he could be quizzed by police, it was revealed yesterday.
Last night a spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said: “The Met is currently scoping recent information regarding the deaths of Princess Diana and Dodi Fayed. This scoping exercise is not complete.”
News that the ex-soldier has suddenly left the country is bound to throw the probe into disarray. Officers were keen to speak to him after he reportedly told his estranged wife that a special forces hit squad was behind the death of Diana. The claims were only made public last month.
One source said: “Soldier N is key to this inquiry as he is the person who made the claims. Pressure on him has been mounting since the original story broke last month. He was aware police wanted to interview him.
“No one can be sure why he has gone.”
Soldier N’s estranged wife revealed that during a conversation in 2011, her husband had claimed Diana, 36, was killed by the SAS.
During the conversation, she remarked to him how sad it was that Prince William’s mother had been killed, only for him to reportedly reply: “As a matter of fact, it was the Regiment that did it.”
Soldier N allegedly further told his wife that the car crash in Paris was caused after an SAS hit team flashed a blinding light at Diana’s driver Henri Paul. The claim appears to support testimony from a former MI6 spy at the inquest into Diana and 42-year-old Dodi who told of a colleague’s plan to kill Serbian leader Slobodan Milosevic by using a strobe light in a tunnel to distract his driver.
He revealed the existence of a shadowy unit within the SAS known as ‘The Increment’ for the purposes of carrying out lethal operations on behalf of MI6.
Soldier N’s claims were later documented in a seven-page letter written by his mother-in- law in September 2011 when his marriage had disintegrated.
The letter was then passed to Dyfed-Powys police, but not acted upon.
The letter containing the original allegations was handed to the Yard following the court martial of another SAS sniper Danny Nightingale in July.
Sgt Nightingale and Soldier N were arrested in 2011 after police found firearms and ammunition illegally held at a home they shared.
Soldier N admitted the offences and was sentenced to two years at a military corrective training centre. Nightingale admitted the charges and got 18 months.
Following a campaign, he was released and the conviction quashed. At a fresh trial in July, Nightingale was found guilty and sentenced to two years suspended for 12 months. He was convicted largely on the testimony of Soldier N.
The allegations of SAS involvement emerged soon afterwards.
Paul, 41, also died when the Mercedes he was driving smashed into a pillar in the Pont de L’Alma underpass in Paris in August 1997.
In April 2008, an inquest jury returned a verdict of unlawful killing into Diana’s death.